Queensland Raceway Race Report: 1st-3rd June 2012

Pole position and my first race win for Glenn Scott Racing/Insure my ride/YRD team.

Crazy weather conditions at Queensland Raceway on the weekend set the scene for some exciting racing.

The rain came pouring down during Friday practice. I had never ridden the Yamaha R6 nor QLD raceway in the rain before. I was eager to turn some laps of the circuit and get a feel for the bike in the wet. After a steady start to the day we managed to top the time sheets in the second session whilst it was pouring rain.

With the weather conditions changing every hour on Saturday, it was going to be a tough day for qualifying. The rain had eased and the sun was out, not knowing what the weather was going to do in the first session it seemed to be the time to put in a quick lap. The track started to dry during the session and I made a risky decision to put on a slick rear tyre leaving the wet front on the bike. I thought this would give me confidence in the front end over the damp patches. It turned out to be the right choice clocking the fastest lap of the session 1.15.6 with only seconds to the end of the first qualifier. A short time after the first qualifying session the rain came pouring down again with no one being able to go faster on the wet circuit in the second qualifier. With cancelation of super pole due to the rain it was awarded to me as I was quickest in qualifying giving me my second pole position for the 2012 championship. I managed to be 6 tenths faster in qualifying with Chris Quinn in 2nd followed by Josh Hook and Mitchell Carr to round out the front row.

Topping the time sheets in the wet morning warm up gave me and the team a huge confidence boost for the first race. The rain had stopped but the circuit was still very wet, I knew the track was going to dry if the rain stayed away. We had no choice but to start on wets, I got off to an absolute flying start pulling a 1.5 second lead on the first lap. I knew towards the end of the race it was going to be tricky with the circuit drying so I pushed hard during the early stages of the race increasing my lead to 8 seconds. The circuit as I predicted started to dry, I was searching for every puddle I could find to cool the tyres. The last few laps were extremely difficult as I struggled to find grip as the circuit was almost completely dry and the wets were starting to tear up. Keeping a level head and high concentration I rode the Insure my ride Yamaha R6 to my first victory of the season.

Queensland Raceway

The rain had finally cleared up and the second race was confirmed dry, on the warm up lap I saw there were still a few damp patches that we would have to look out for. I got off to a ripper of a start for the first race but unfortunately Mike Jones crashed his bike at the first turn and the race was red flagged. I got off to another flyer when the race was restarted putting my head down and going for it for the first few laps. Being the first dry session of the weekend it only took a few laps to notice the bike was not handling right. Struggling to turn the bike in the fast turns, Brodie Waters in 2nd place started to close the gap on me. I was trying to ride around my problem with Suzuki rider Brodie Waters knocking at the back door. On lap ten coming into the first turn the problem with the front end would catch me out, hitting a few bumps on the entry to the turn the front end started to tuck. My elbow was on the ground trying to save the crash but it was not possible as Brodie slammed into the back of me at 180km/h. Briefly being knocked out after the wack to the back I woke up in the gravel struggling to breathe. I have never had the wind knocked out of me so hard. Thankfully I had no broken bones but did suffer a concussion. Sunday night would see me spend the night in Princess Alexandra Hospital undergoing scans and x-rays to make sure I was ok.

It was an extremely dramatic weekend for Glenn Scott Racing with huge highs and a big low. I owe a huge thanks to SW racing for doing such a great job on the suspension all weekend in difficult conditions, my mechanics Ali, Col and Sam Costanzo for outstanding support in all areas. Motorcycle racing is a team sport and I am lucky to have such great support from my team and sponsors. Only 14 points separate the top four in the championship with myself in fourth place (Yamaha), Brodie Waters in third (Suzuki), Josh Hook second (Honda) and Mitchell Carr in first (Triumph). The championship is wide open and is anyone’s for the taking.

Back to News