Hidden Valley Race Report: 14th-17th April 2011

Darwin deals drama

Glenn Scott arrived in Darwin hoping to move forward in the 2011 Australian Supersport Championship only to be thwarted by mechanical problems and an obscure decision by race officials.

The long wait for new engine components proved worthwhile in the opening free practice session with the WNR Kawasaki ZX6R showing exceptional speed on Hidden Valley’s 1.1 kilometre straight. The 2nd free practice session succumbed to heavy rain which eventually created rivers across parts of the circuit. Scott mastered the treacherous conditions to be within 10 seconds of the fastest time set in dry conditions leaving the Ninja pilot on top of the time sheets.

Saturday’s first qualifying session lasted just 8 laps for Glenn Scott when he was forced to enter pit lane with engine problems. The number 68 machine lost power and emitted additional mechanical noise from the engine. The team took careful steps to identify the problems which prevented Glenn Scott from riding in the second qualifying session leaving the disappointed 19 year old on the 3rd row in 10th position.

With the help of Darwin Kawasaki dealer, Holeshot Kawasaki, the team worked into the night on Saturday to find a solution to the cause however time and resources finally prevailed and the soul Kawasaki Supersport machine at Hidden Valley would no longer take part in the meeting.

In a desperate attempt to score points the team accepted an opportunity, made to them by Mark Wilkinson, to race a Kawasaki ZX6R Superstock machine in both 17 lap Supersport races. Due to weather uncertainty, the bike only became available shortly before the start of the Supersport race.

Glenn Scott made a gallant attempt to stay with the top 10 riders in Race 1 but his efforts were diminished by a lack of horsepower and bike set-up. 15th position was all that could be redeemed. Race 2 was slightly more positive after several changes allowed Scott to compete within the top 10 eventually finishing in 9th position.

The racing may have finished however the competition were still at large. Team manager Warwick Nowland notified race officials that a new rear tyre had not been marked prior to the start of race 2. Post race talks confirmed, due to the circumstances, this could be accepted however another competitor would not accept this and the officials felt obliged to change their thoughts and exclude Glenn Scott from Race 2.

The team will now rebuild with confidence and overcome the weekend’s hurdles. The next race in the Australian Supersport Championship will be at Queensland Raceway on 3-5 June.

Back to News